The 9 Most Dangerous Foods for Poodles: What You Should Know


When your poodle looks up at you with those big, brown puppy dog eyes, it can be extremely difficult to say no to sharing your snack. But giving your dog a piece of your table scraps can sometimes do more harm than good.

Not only can it be bad for their weight if you’re giving them snacks regularly, but some human food is downright dangerous for your poodle to consume! Before sharing any human food with your poodle, you’ll want to make sure it’s safe for them to ingest.

While some toxic foods like grapes or chocolate are commonly known, you might be surprised at some of the foods that will send your dog straight to the emergency veterinarian! 

The nine most toxic foods for poodles include:

  1. Alcohol
  2. Avocado
  3. Caffeine
  4. Chocolate
  5. Grapes and Raisins
  6. Macadamia Nuts
  7. Onions and Garlic
  8. Yeast Dough
  9. Xylitol

To ensure your poodle remains in great health, avoid giving your pooch any of the toxic foods on this list.

1. Alcohol Should Not Be Shared With Your Poodle

This should be a no-brainer, but your poodle can not have alcohol. Not even on a special occasion like their third birthday (because they turned 21 years old in dog years)! The same way alcohol can make you feel dizzy, sick, or uncoordinated, the same will happen to your poodle—but worse! 

Poodles are much smaller than humans, which means it only takes a small amount of alcohol to really impact them. Giving them beer, wine, or liquor, could lead to alcohol poisoning with symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, and in worse case scenarios, death.

If your poodle has gotten into alcohol, you need to contact a veterinarian immediately to avoid the dangers of intoxication.

2. Avocado Can Cause an Upset Stomach

A common misconception is that poodles can ingest avocados, when in fact, they can cause major issues for your dog. Avocados contain a component called persin that can cause your poodle to vomit or have diarrhea.

If your dog consumes an excessive amount of avocados, this could cause major upset for their stomach and lead to severe stomach cramps and pain that would require the attention of a vet. 

Persin isn’t just in the meat of the avocado, but if you are growing your own avocados you need to keep your poodle away from the leaves, seeds, and bark on the trees. Not only is persin dangerous to dogs, but the pit inside the avocado can also be extremely fatal and a choking hazard if ingested.

3. Caffeine Affects a Poodle, Too

When you’re tired, coffee might be the way you wake up in the morning. If you have a tired poodle on your hands, caffeine is not the answer! Caffeine can be found in coffee, tea, soda, and energy drinks, and if any of these are enjoyed by your dog, he won’t be enjoying the side effects for long! 

If ingested, keep an eye on your poodle and look for signs of vomiting, restlessness, elevated heart rate, and seizures. If any of these symptoms are present, or anything seems out of the ordinary, take your poodle to the vet right away.

4. Avoid Giving Your Poodle Any Amount of Chocolate

Chocolate is the most commonly known food that is toxic to poodles. It can be easy to be mindlessly eating candy, cookies, or another treat and want to share with your pooch. If there is any chocolate within your dessert, it can seriously impact your dog’s health. 

Chocolate contains an ingredient called theobromine. While your body can process and digest this compound safely, your poodle metabolizes theobromine at a much slower rate. Because of this, the ingredient builds up within their system and can reach toxic levels. Even the smallest bite of chocolate can cause issues for your pup, and if you have a mini or toy-sized poodle, they’re even more in danger. 

Even though there are different types of chocolate (milk, dark, white, etc.), you’ll want to avoid giving your poodle any type to prevent toxic levels from building up. If your poodle eats chocolate, no matter the quantity, take your dog to the emergency vet.

5. Grapes and Raisins Should Not Be Given to Poodles

You might think that grapes are a cool and refreshing treat for your poodle on a hot, summer day—especially frozen grapes! You’ll be surprised to learn that although they’re a healthy treat for humans, grapes and raisins are extremely toxic for your poodle and should be avoided at all costs. 

If your dog eats a raisin or grape, it can lead to serious issues like kidney failure or death. It’s unknown why grapes and raisins are lethal to poodles, and some dogs might not be impacted at all. 

However, just because your dog ate grapes once before and didn’t experience any negative side effects, there is still a chance that your poodle will react the next time they eat. Don’t take the risk and avoid giving grapes or raisins to your poodle. If your pooch gets into grapes unexpectedly, take them to the vet as soon as possible. 

6. Macadamia Nuts Aren’t Lethal, but They’re Not Good for a Poodle

Macadamia nuts are commonly given to poodles on accident because owners don’t realize that cookies or candy contains them! If you’re ever planning on feeding your pooch a bite of human food, you should always check the ingredients list for items, like macadamia nuts, that can be harmful to your poodle’s health. 

When consumed, your dog might show symptoms like muscle spasms, vomiting, lethargy, or a fever. The good news about macadamia nuts is that they are rarely fatal to poodles. Your dog might be uncomfortable for up to 48 hours, but with the supervision of a veterinarian, they will likely get better.

7. Onions and Garlic Cause Gastrointestinal Discomfort

When cooking lunch and dinner, you might love adding onions and garlic to your meals. We don’t blame you! Onions and garlic are a great way to add extra flavor. But if you plan on sharing this meal with your poodle, you could be putting their health at risk. 

If your poodle eats onions or garlic in any form (powdered, raw, or cooked), it will cause gastrointestinal discomfort and lead to bigger problems like red blood cell damage and anemia. If your poodle somehow eats onions or garlic, you’ll want to monitor them for the next 24 hours and look for anything out of the ordinary like vomiting, diarrhea, or weakness of breath.

8. Yeast Dough Can Be Dangerous For Your Dog

Poodles aren’t picky with what they eat, which means they might grab food right on the counter. If you’re making homemade bread, you’ll likely leave your dough out on the counter to rise. If your poodle is a counter surfer, make sure you place your yeast dough in a spot that your dog is unable to reach! 

If eaten, the dough will continue to rise and expand—but inside your poodle’s stomach! Not only will this cause pain and discomfort as it expands your poodle’s stomach, but the yeast will also ferment and give off alcohol. This can cause your dog to experience alcohol poisoning.

9. Xylitol Leads to Liver Failure

You’re probably thinking, “what’s Xylitol?” Believe us, you’re not the first person to ask that question. Xylitol is a natural sugar alcohol that is used as a sugar substitute in many consumer goods.

Even though Xylitol isn’t something on your shopping list, there’s a good chance you have items in your home that have Xylitol in them, including:

  • Gum
  • Mouthwash
  • Toothpaste
  • Breath mints
  • Sugar-free foods
  • Baked good
  • Cough syrup
  • Peanut butter (and other nut butter)
  • Over-the-counter medicines

When consumed by your poodle, they might experience vomiting and loss of coordination. Depending on the quantity of Xylitol consumed, your pooch might even experience total liver failure.

Always be sure to check the ingredients on any human food you plan on giving to your poodle to prevent health issues and costly vet bills.

Stick to Dog-Specific Food and Treats

Anytime you feed your poodle, stick to their regular dog food or specific dog treats. Discuss any special treats, like peanut butter or cheese, with your veterinarian first before feeding it to your beloved poodle. By watching what they eat, your poodle will have a happier and healthier life – and more time to spend with you!

Brent Hartman

I'm Brent Hartman. I've been a dog lover my entire life and have owned many animals over the years. When my black lab Angus passed away, I was looking for another friend to share my life with. As a result of my research, I've come to love poodles and wanted to share some of what I've learned with you. Whether you're looking to adopt a poodle, or already own one, I created Poodle report to be the ultimate guide to help you find the answers you need.

Recent Posts