Poodles are an exceptionally popular dog breed among pet owners. This special breed distinguishes itself among many other dog breeds for being hypoallergenic, but poodles are unique in plenty of additional ways. Such a distinguished pet requires specific and nuanced care, but poodles also demand a name that reflects its wondrous specificities and nuances.
The 10 most popular names for poodles and doodles include:
Let’s take a look at some of the best names for your pet poodle, depending on its type, sex, characteristics, or your own personal interests.
Naming Your Poodle or Doodle
It can be a cumbersome task, naming one’s Poodle. You would like to pick a name that reflects some aspect of your Poodle’s bubbling personality, but you would also like to pick a name as soon as possible so that your Poodle knows when it is being referred to.
Additionally, there are three different types of poodles, and even more, Poodle mixes with dozens of other dog breeds. These different types of Poodle certainly emanate their own distinct auras that call for unique names that aptly represent these distinctions.
Let’s take a look at some of the best and most popular names for poodles of various types, including toy poodles, miniature poodles, standard poodles, and poodle mixes.
Top 25 Popular Names for Toy Poodles
Let’s start with the smallest of all poodle types, the toy poodle. Toy poodles grow to no greater height than 10 inches tall and typically weigh between 4 to 6 pounds, making them an exceptionally cute and utterly minuscule dog. Therefore, the name you give to your toy poodle should delineate this cuteness and quaintness in stature.
Here are the most popular names for toy poodles:
- Half Pint
If you are looking for a name that accentuates the minute stature of a toy poodle, consider playful names such as:
Names like Bean, Jellybean, Peanut, and Nugget evoke a food-like quality that insinuates that your toy poodle is deliciously adorable.
Names like Prince and Princess convey a sense of regality among your Poodle that may invoke royal behavior within them. Additionally, the name Prince can double as a subtle homage to the late, great singer/performer Prince, whose smallish stature and boisterous presence bear a resemblance to the toy poodle.
Finally, names like Pebbles, Button, Teacup, or Fluffy are not directly related to pettiness but call to mind the charming, adorable nature of toy poodles to great effect.
Top 25 Most Popular Names for Miniature Poodles
Now, let’s take a look at a slightly larger, albeit equally adorable, poodle type, the miniature Poodle. At roughly 10-15 inches tall and weighing about 10 to 15 pounds, miniature poodles are still quite adorable, but not quite in the same infantile manner as a toy poodle.
Thus, the miniature Poodle requires a name that still articulates its cuteness, but in a more refined manner.
The 25 most popular names for miniature poodles are:
Names like Duchess, Queenie, Archibald, and Duke call to mind a similar regality to Prince and Princess, although these are slightly more respectable titles.
Quirkier names for miniature poodle include:
These eccentric names remind us of the endearing nature of the miniature Poodle.
As you look into naming your Poodle, regardless of its size, you will likely make a decision based on the gender binaries that have become the societal norm in most places in the modern world.
Names like Cooper, Daisy, Dixie, and Rudy play into these gender norms, but you are more than welcome to choose any of the names listed above for either male or female poodles.
Top 25 Most Popular Names for Standard Poodles
Finally, the standard sized Poodle comes in at approximately 40 to 70 pounds, depending on its sex, and at least 15 inches tall.
While the standard Poodle’s larger size does not give it the same petite cuteness of the miniature or toy poodle, there is a certain poise that the standard Poodle carries that grants the majestic pup a greater level of reverence.
With this reverence, the standard Poodle should bear a name worthy of being revered.
Here’s a list of the 25 most popular standard Poodle names:
Names like Barnabus, Ziggy, Lady, and Bijou bring to mind the finer things in life, which is exactly what your standard Poodle is. Some standard poodle owners prefer to name their beloved pet after a beloved celebrity or public figure.
Names like Teddy, Chanel, Zelda, and Hamilton will invoke the spirits of Teddy Roosevelt, Coco Chanel, Alexander Hamilton, and Zelda Rubinstein within your proud pup.
Then, there are classic symbols of the noble class, such as Lady, Porter, King, and Gatsby. You can also give your dog an Eastern European flair with the names Gregor, Iven, or Weimar.
Top 25 Most Popular Names for Doodles
Now, regardless of your Poodle’s size, if your Poodle is mixed with another dog breed, you may wish to assign your pet a name that suits your dog’s colorful heritage. There are an array of dog breeds that have mixed with poodles over the years and each
The 25 most popular doodle names include:
Of course, there are the incredibly popular Labradoodle and Goldendoodle, which are fairly simple to picture a name for. However, there are a few relatively unfamiliar names on this list, such as the Whoodle or Flandoodle, which may be more difficult to assign a name to.
Let’s take a closer look at 20 popular doodle mix breeds and assign one perfectly encapsulating name to each mixed breed.
Choosing the Perfect Name for Your Doodle by Breed
The perfect name for 20 popular doodle breeds include:
- Labradoodle: Labradoodles, a mix between a Labrador Retriever and a Poodle, are an incredibly popular poodle mix due to their affectionate nature, the simple grooming process, and dashing looks. A good name for a Labradoodle would have to accentuate these qualities, which is why Teddy is the perfect name for a Labradoodle.
- Goldendoodle: Goldendoodles, a mix between a Golden Retriever and a Poodle, are another excessively popular mixed breed for similar reasons. Goldendoodles are particularly high energy and love to play, so the name given to them should allude to this nature. This is why the perfect name for a Goldendoodle is Zelda.
- Huskydoodle: The elegant Huskydoodle, a cross between a Siberian Husky and a Poodle, is an incredibly outgoing, energetic dog with a penchant for mischief. These dogs love to be outdoors where they can show off their good looks and play. Therefore, the perfect name for a Huskydoodle is Hamilton.
- Yorkipoo: Yorkipoos are a mix between a Yorkshire Terrier and a Poodle. Yorkshire Terriers are known for their petite adorableness as well as their rambunctious nature. Yorkipoos share this unruly demeanor and can be quite standoffish at first. These qualities make Barksy the perfect name for your Yorkipoo.
- Sheepadoodle: The Sheepadoodle, a mix between an Old English Sheepdog and a Poodle, is a gargantuan poodle mix, reaching 30 pounds after just four months. These Doodles love to play but are also incredibly work driven and will likely herd you and your family members. This work ethic makes Gizmo the perfect name for your Sheepadoodle.
- Cavapoo: Although not as big of a name brand as Labradoodles or Goldendoodles, this Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Poodle mix became the most searched Poodle mix in the US in 2020. Cavapoos are slightly more petite and tremendously adorable but are quite prone to separation anxiety. Thus, the perfect name for a Cavapoo is Gatsby.
- Saint Berdoodle: The Saint Berdoodle, a cross between a Saint Bernard and a Poodle, is a particularly loyal poodle mix due to its Saint Bernard roots. These roots also impact the size of a Saint Berdoodle, which is frequently over 100 pounds when mature. A dog of this stature and character can only be called Barnabus.
- Aussiedoodle The Aussiedoodle, a cross between an Australian Shepherd and a Poodle, is a strikingly gorgeous Poodle mix with high energy, flexibility, and eagerness to please. These qualities are best accentuated by a name like Ziggy for your Aussiedoodle.
- Great Danoodle: The Great Danoodle, a cross between a Great Dane and a Poodle, is a contender for being the largest of all Poodle mixes. These dogs can vary in coat color but are generally quite steady in attitude, which is calm and collected. The most aptly suited name for these qualities is King.
- Peekapoo: Peekapoos, a cross between a Pekingese and a Poodle, is an incredibly loving poodle mix that is simple to groom. However, this Doodle is typically encumbered by a myriad of health issues that make it a difficult dog to care for, particularly around children. This tragically waifish quality makes Tiny Tim the perfect name for a Peekapoo.
- Whoodle: The Whoodle, a mix of a Wheaton Terrier and a Poodle, is a rare Poodle mix, which means there is limited information about its character and physical traits. This Poodle mix is quite the mystery, and its rarity only adds to its mystique. Thus, the perfect name for the Whoodle is Diamond.
- Bernedoodle: The Bernedoodle, a mix between a Bernese Mountain Dog and a Poodle, is a gorgeous, tri-colored Poodle mix that loves attention and playtime. Bernedoodles are quite the challenge to groom, but their beautiful fur makes it absolutely worth it. The perfect name to accentuate these qualities is Bernie.
- Westiepoo: The Westiepoo, a cross between a West Highland Terrier and a Poodle, is quite the mischievous little creature. This Poodle mix creates a high energy dog that loves to play but often lets its curiosity distract it into doing dastardly deeds. The name that best calls to mind these qualities are Dax Shepard.
- Boxerdoodle: The Boxerdoodle, a cross between a Boxer and a Doodle, is an affectionate Poodle mix that is also particularly easy to train. These dogs are easy-going, fun, and always eager to please, making them the perfect companion. Therefore, the name that best suits the Boxerdoodle is Rocky.
- Mastidoodle: The Mastidoodle, a mix between an English Mastiff and a Poodle, is a prodigious, albeit calm, the beast with elegant, wavy fur. Mixing the English Mastiff with a Poodle prolongs the English Mastiff’s lifespan to 12 years, which gives you even more time with your beloved pet. Thus, the perfect name for the Mastidoodle is Ivy.
- Irish Doodle: The Irish Doodle, a mix between an Irish Setter and a Poodle, is one of the few Poodle mixes on this list whose fur turns red as a result of the mix. Its beautiful rustic fur and its love of the outdoors makes Scotty the perfect name for an Irish Doodle.
- Pugapoo: The Pugapoo, a cross between a Pug and a Poodle, is quite the popular commodity in the designer dog world. These dogs are quite petite and tend to be overly reliant on their owners. The perfect name to delineate these qualities related to your Pugapoo is Minion.
- Flandoodle: The Flandoodle, a mix between a Bouvier Des Flandres and a Poodle, is a relatively rare and exceptionally French dog. This Poodle mix calls for a name that represents its heritage and its uniqueness. Therefore, Croissant is the perfect name for a Flandoodle.
- Irish Troodle: The Irish Troodle, not to be confused with the Irish Doodle, is a cross between an Irish Terrier and a Poodle. This Poodle mix is slightly more heavyset than the Irish Doodle but still packs in plenty of energy. The perfect name for the Irish Troodle in your life is Josh.
- Rottle: Rottles, a mix of a Rottweiler and a Poodle, is a relatively large Poodle mix with the guardian instinct of a Rottweiler and the fluffiness of a Poodle. The fluffiness of Rottle fur combined with their intimidating stature makes them look particularly earthy. This quality makes Sage the perfect name for a Rottle.
Top 10 Most Popular Male Poodle Names
We have gone over many names that are particularly well-suited to either the size or mixed breed of the Poodle you are looking to name. However, sometimes when the more obscure names are not hitting that sweet spot, it is best to stick with the hits.
With this in mind, let’s take a look at the ten most popular male Poodle names in 2020, according to Rover.com, and see if any of them resonate with your specific taste.
The 10 most popular Male Poodle Names Include:
While names like Teddy and Cooper have been mentioned already in this article, this list presents a number of new ideas, including the number one male name, Bailey. Louie is also an excellent choice for Poodle owners looking to tap into their dog’s French roots.
Top 10 Most Popular Female Poodle Names
Just as the top 10 most popular male Poodle names have given us an array of new ideas, the top 10 most popular female Poodle names should present us with good fortune in the name department.
The ten most popular female Poodle names include:
We see a few names we have gone over previously in this article, such as Coco and Daisy. However, we also have plenty of unexplored options, including the number one most popular female Poodle name, Bella. Names like Luna and Zoe give off a certain ethereal mystique to Poodles that we have not yet explored in this article.
Top 25 Most Popular Unusual Poodle Names
Now, while most people prefer the hits, there are plenty of people that prefer to form their own path. When it comes to naming your Poodle, if you tend to be a fan of the obscure, you will likely want to name your Poodle something that a Poodle has never been named before.
Although there is no way of knowing if these names have never been used to refer to a Poodle, it is safe to say that these names are, at the very least, quite unusual.
Here are the 25 most Popular unusual names for your Poodle:
- Big Boy
- P.U. Dell
- Tony the Poodle
- Al Legator
- Mr. Chomp
Top 25 Most Popular Exotic Poodle Names
Some people prefer their Poodle names with a bit of cultural flair. If you wish to gift your Poodle a name that is not frequently used in your country of origin, you may refer to this name as exotic.
Here are the 25 most popular exotic names for your Poodle:
Top 25 Most Popular Strong Powerful Poodle Names
If you like your Poodles to be exceptionally masculine and rugged, then chances are you will need a name to match this manly toughness.
The 25 most popular powerful names for your Poodle are:
- Big Daddy
- Thomas the Tank
Top 25 Most Popular Movie-Inspired Poodle Names
For all of the avid movie lovers out there, you may be tempted to name your beloved Poodle after a particular film that holds a similar spot in your heart. However, with so many incredible movies to choose from, the choices can be quite daunting.
The best way to start is to narrow down your favorite movies and then move on to honing in on specific characters that possess attributes you also see in your Poodle.
The top 25 movie-inspired names for your pet Poodle include:
- Gandalf (Lord of the Rings)
- Beau (Iron Will)
- Joker (Batman)
- Katniss Poodledeen (Katniss Everdeen, The Hunger Games)
- Poodle Baggins (Frodo Baggins, Lord of the Rings)
- Buddy (Air Bud)
- Jack (Pirates of the Caribbean)
- Buzz (Toy Story)
- Snoopy (Peanuts)
- Lassie (Lassie)
- Scarlett (Gone With the Wind)
- Pippin (Lord of the Rings)
- Yoda (Star Wars)
- Maverick (Top Gun)
- Scooby (Scooby-Doo)
- Zero (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
- Slink (Toy Story)
- Bolt (Bolt)
- Dodger (Oliver and Company)
- Chance (Homeward Bound)
- Einstein (Back to the Future)
- Milo (The Mask)
- Snots (National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation)
- Wilby (The Shaggy Dog)
- Toto (The Wizard Of Oz)
Top 25 Most Popular Cartoon Inspired Poodle Names
Some people are a fan of movies. Some people are more inclined to the television. However, both movie lovers and television fanatics can rejoice in a shared love for cartoons. Cartoons have been a staple of United States culture since the early 1900s and have earlier roots in other countries around the world.
Therefore, the list for potential references is endless, which may make it difficult to hone in on the perfect cartoon-inspired name for your Poodle.
The 25 most popular cartoon names for your Poodle Include:
- Elmer (Elmer Fudd, Loony Tunes)
- Clifford (Clifford, The Big Red Dog)
- Jerry (Tom and Jerry)
- Daffy (Disney)
- Oddie (Garfield)
- Porky (Loony Tunes)
- Oswald (Oswald)
- Annabelle (All Dogs go to Heaven)
- Tasmanian Poodle (Tasmanian Devil, Loony Tunes)
- Santa’s Little Helper (The Simpsons)
- Naruto (Naruto)
- Astro (The Jetsons)
- Tweety (Loony Tunes)
- Stella (The Princess and the Frog)
- Chase (Paw Patrol)
- Bugs (Loony Tunes)
- Tom (Tom and Jerry)
- Fogdoodle Legpoodle (Foghorn Leghorn, Loony Tunes)
- Dino (The Flintstones)
- Alvin (Chipmunks)
- Yosemite Poodle (Yosemite Sam, Loony Tunes)
- Pluto (Disney)
- PorkChop (Doug)
- Sylvester (Loony Toons)
- Aang (Avatar)
Top 25 Most Popular French Poodle Names
Among the most popular Poodle types is the French Poodle. The term French Poodle actually refers to all Poodle types, but many people use it colloquially to refer to Toy or Miniature Poodles. To properly name a “French” Poodle, one should pick a name that reflects its utter adorableness.
The 25 most popular names for French Poodles include:
The Top 25 Disney-Inspired Poodle Names Include:
There are many fanatics for a variety of forms and mediums. However, there is perhaps no larger fandom than the Disney fandom. As you can visit the hub of all Disney, known globally as “Disneyland,” in three of seven continents and six different locations, there are fans of the monstrous brand from nearly everywhere in the world.
As a result, there are many Disney lovers who share a similar affinity for Poodles.
The 25 Most Popular Disney-inspired names for Poodles are:
- Mickey (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse)
- Sebastian (The Little Mermaid)
- Goofy (Goof Troop)
- Pluto (Mickey Mouse Works)
- Minnie (Micky Mouse Clubhouse)
- Aladdin (Aladdin)
- Beast (Beauty and the Beast)
- Beauty (Sleeping Beauty)
- Jasmine (Aladdin)
- Nala (The Lion King)
- Simba (The Lion King)
- Ariel (The Little Mermaid)
- Cinderella (Cinderella)
- Anastasia (Anastasia)
- Elsa (Frozen)
- Alice (Alice in Wonderland)
- Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
- Duchess (The Aristocrats)
- Penny (The Rescuers)
- Wendy (Peter Pan)
- Buzz (Toy Story)
- Pongo (101 Dalmatians)
- Tramp (Lady and the Tramp)
- Maximus (Tangled)
- Pumbaa (The Lion King)
Top 25 Most Popular Harry Potter-Inspired Poodle Names
One of the most captivating fantasy series of all time made a massive dent in the cultural zeitgeist of the late 1990s and early 2000s. This fantasy series is, of course, Harry Potter. Although the series hasn’t quite sustained the success it once had, there are still plenty of Harry Potter fans out there in the world.
The 25 top Harry Potter-inspired names for Poodles include:
- Aunt Petunia
Top 25 Most Popular TV-Inspired Poodle Names
Once deemed a lesser art form than cinema by elitists around the world, television is now heralded in the modern age as a true art form. While it certainly took the modern aristocrats some time to come around on television, the everyman has always had a special place in their heart for the small screen.
With this, adoration has come tremendous influence, which may incline some Poodle owners to name their beloved pet after a beloved television character or setting. For these television enthusiasts,
The 25 most popular TV-inspired names for poodles Include:
- Soprano (Tony Soprano, The Sopranos)
- Carly (iCarly)
- Gyver (MacGyver)
- Mr. Peanut butter (BoJack Horseman)
- Phoebe (Friends)
- Raymond (Everybody Loves Raymond)
- Mosby (Ted Mosby, Met Your Mother)
- Will (Will & Grace)
- Vic (The Shield)
- Alf (Alf)
- Boss (Who’s the Boss?)
- Corky (Life Goes On)
- Kramer (Seinfeld)
- Buffy (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
- Elvis (Don’t Tell Mom The Babysitter’s Dead)
- Rin Tin Tin (Rin Tin Tin)
- Edith (All in the Family)
- Frasier (Frasier)
- Grace (Grace Under Fire)
- Hawkeye (MASH)
- Jay ( The Tonight Show with Jay Leno)
- Magnum (Magnum PI)
- Quinn (Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman)
- Sisko (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
- Goldie (The Golden Girls)
Top 25 Most Popular Food-Inspired Poodle Names
Everybody has their vices. For some people, it is the silver screen. For others, the small screen. One constant source of joy that tends to be abundantly consumed by the masses is food. Food is one of the few things that ties us all together as human beings. We all need food to survive, and we all thrive when we eat a good, hearty meal.
There is no better tribute to such a glorious shared human experience than to name your Poodle after your favorite version of it.
The 25 most popular food-inspired names for Poodles include:
- Tater Tot
Top 25 Most Popular Drink Inspired Poodle Names
The Yin to food’s Yang has always been drink. While food typically dries a moistened palette, drink is right there to moisten up that dry palette. While food fills, drink quenches. There is no greater duo in the world than food and drink. Well, Nichols and May came close.
The 25 Most Popular drink-inspired names for Poodles are:
Must Have Products For Poodles And Doodles
Thank you for reading this article. I hope you found it helpful. Here are some products that I personally believe every owner should employ to help ensure the best quality of life for their dogs. These are affiliate links, so if you do decide to use any of them, I’ll earn a commission.
But in all honesty, these are the exact products that I use and recommend to everyone, even my own family.
Lemonade Pet Insurance: Lemonade Pet Insurance has enabled me to afford a very high level of veterinary care for my dog, Angus. Even after he was diagnosed with cancer a few years back. Lemonade is a great company, and I can’t recommend them enough!
Brain Training For Dogs: Brain Training for dogs is an amazing online training program I found that actually helped me to understand and ultimately stop my dog’s separation anxiety and destructive behaviors when I left the house. This program actually works, and at a small fraction of the cost of hiring a dog trainer!
Pet Plate: I first learned of Pet Plate when the company was featured on the TV show “Shark Tank” back in 2016. Pet Plate is the dog food subscription service I use to provide extremely healthy, pre-portioned meals for my dog. Pet Plate gives my dog Angus the highest quality nutrition at a very affordable price.
BarkBox: Without a doubt, my dog enjoys Barkbox more than anything else I buy him. BarkBox delivers a customized box of themed toys, treats, and other products to your door each month. In addition, I like that a percentage of proceeds is donated to local animal shelters.
Pawp.com: Pawp is not insurance. It’s a membership program that gives you access to unlimited video calls or texts with a licensed vet 24/7 and includes up to six pets on a single membership! I Purchase this service for my dog Angus and have saved hundreds of dollars over visiting his local vet with questions or more minor health concerns. Pawp will even pay up to $3,000 if your pets experience an emergency situation! Check out Pawp’s website to see why Pawp can help you save money and increase your pet’s quality of care.